Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Blog Hop: Welcome to The Next Big Thing



Thanks, Leisa Watkins for inviting me to The Next Big Thing Blog Hop. This is my first hop and I’m excited to share my work and pass off to the other talented writers participating next week.

Although I've been writing short stories, poetry, essays, and novels for a very long time, I am a relatively new published author. Ripple, my first sci-fi novel, a product of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), was published in December of 2011, along with two children's books, Thunder and Minshew the Dragon Dog. For more detailed information on my work, check out my website: Colleen Sayre.

I had a lot of fun writing my latest novel, A Solitary Life. Although it's neither sci-fi nor children's literature, Mary Margaret Carmichael is a compelling character who demanded my attention and kept me thinking. As I began writing, I had no idea where the story would take me. The characters developed on the page very quickly, each with his or her own voice and story to relate about Mary Margaret. I became intrigued with how to pull all of the pieces of the story together to create a cohesive tale and I believe the characters did that for me. I came to love Mary Margaret and I think my readers will, too. 

As the author of A Solitary Life, I have very specific ideas about how to answer questions concerning the process of writing and how my book came into being. However, Mary Margaret has her own take on her story. I thought it might be fun to turn the tables and ask Mary Margaret to speak for herself. I'll add my comments where necessary and appropriate--and where Mary Margaret will let me.

What is the working title of your book?

MM: The book is titled A Solitary Life. I wanted to call it Yikes! but my best friend Sophia insisted it wouldn’t sell. Colleen liked the name A Solitary Life and I think her readers will identify with the idea of a life lived alone.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

MM: It’s my autobiography, the story of my life as told through the eyes and words of my friends and family. Colleen was kind enough to help out.
CS: Mary Margaret sprang to life one morning as I sat reading my horoscope. She has a voice and she knows how to use it.

What genre does your book fall under?

MM: Literary fiction, Contemporary, Mainstream, something along those lines. I don’t particularly like pigeon holes. It’s not sci-fi (Colleen writes sci-fi but this, unfortunately for me, is not a time travel saga), it’s not women’s lit--or Chick-Lit as my brother calls it. It’s hard to peg it, but I’d say mainstream literary fiction.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

MM: Here’s my wish list: 
Mary Margaret (me): Frances McDormand
Kathleen (my mother): Jessica Lange
Arthur (my father): Robert Redford
Luther (my older brother): Philip Seymour Hoffman
Garrett (my younger brother): Robert Pattinson
Paula (my best friend): Felicity Huffman
Henry (my husband): Gerard Butler

CS: I agree with Mary Margaret, mostly. I love Frances McDormand. She has an edge that would be perfect; Jessica Lange looks like Kathleen; Robert Redford has Arthur’s quiet presence; Robert Pattinson is musical and has the proper amount of brooding magnetism to play Garrett; Gerard Butler would be perfect for Mary Margaret’s fantasy Henry. (You forget, Mary Margaret, that you won’t be rubbing up against any of these people. This is a movie! You’re in my head!) The real Henry would have to be someone who can play smart, sexy, and smarmy. Timothy Olyphant would be wonderful! Felicity Huffman is perfect for Paula. She and Frances McDormand would make great best friends.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

MM: I would say, in my own words, that A Solitary Life is the truth of life: “Often we live unhappily and then we die.” Colleen will probably say, “It’s the story of a life filled with love, heartache, loss, empathy, harrowing drama, and hope.”

CS: A Solitary Life is a story about surviving and living through the worst moments of your life, including your family, and embracing the best moments of your life, including your family.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

MM: A Solitary Life is available for Kindle and in paperback at Amazon.com. 
CS: My work has never been submitted to an agent or a to publisher. 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

MM: I talk fast; she types slow. The first draft was finished in three weeks.
CS: She’s correct. It took three weeks from beginning to end.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

MM: My idol is James Joyce. He used music and poetry to write stories that were unique and beautiful. I can hear my critics now, though: “You are no James Joyce!” No, I’m not, not in any way, shape or form. But this is my ode to James, my homage, so Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
CS: Maeve Binchy's books come to mind, especially Tara Road. Her books are gripping yet subtle stories of the human experience. 

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

MM: I screamed in her ear, in a loving way, until she heard me and then we wrote my story. She would say the story is inspired by her life, her experiences, her love of books. I’d say she’s a good listener. 
CS: I agree with Mary Margaret. 

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

MM: The format is interesting. Each chapter of the book is written from a different perspective and with a different voice. Everyone has a personal view of their life but this book offers one life from different views. I’ve always believed that we live our lives in a solitary confinement of sorts, in our own little bubbles of experience. We’re all alone in this life, alone together. 


UPDATE:

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop authors offer an exciting and diverse blend of writing styles and stories. Please visit Philip Newey, Chris Wood, and Regina Mors now for information on their newest books and books in progress. Tanya Anderson, and Pauline Conolly will be participating at a later time but be sure to visit their blogs for updates on their work. And one more author has joined our ranks. Ian Miller has joined our ranks. Welcome Ian!
If you would like to showcase a recent or upcoming novel or book in The Next Big Thing Blog Hop, send me a message or leave a comment and I'll be happy to forward information on how to participate. Or email me at colleen@colleensayre.com.

2 comments:

  1. I love the whole, unique concept of this book Colleen (and Mary Margaret!) and really look forward to reading it. Reading about other writers in novels is always fascinating I'm amazed at how quickly the first draft was completed, which I suspect is a very positive sign of engagement and passion. Also love the cover! Thanks for tagging me for the next installment in the blog series. Best of luck, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauline! I hope you enjoy reading A Solitary Life as much as I enjoyed writing it. I look forward to seeing your blog next week!

      Delete